What should you blog about?
You might have a lot of ideas in your head. But will these topics resonate with your readers?
Before you start a blog, you must first choose an area of expertise. Choosing a niche for your blog will help you in creating engaging content. It can also help you make money online! Below are a few tips for choosing a niche. Plus, you’ll find a list of the most profitable blog niches in 2022.
What Is A Niche?
A blog niche is a specific area that you specialize in. This means creating blog posts that relate to this particular topic. With niche blogging, the goal is to build credibility and gain authority in the industry. It also aims to target a specific market for attraction and engagement.
A niche can be as broad or as specific as you want it to be. Take a look at this example:
- Broad niche: Food
- More specific niche: Vegan food
But why is it important to have a niche?
- Keeps you on track: It’s easier to plan and create content when you know the specific topic you’re writing about. It also allows you to brainstorm ideas as well as come up with headlines easily.
- Build a dedicated audience: That’s because you’re creating content specifically for a targeted audience.
- First-time visitors will know what your blog is about: Visitors typically find your blog by searching about a certain topic. If you have a clear niche, first-time visitors will know exactly what your blog is about. And who knows? They might engage with a post or two!
- Make it easier to monetize your blog: Are you thinking of using your blog to make money? Perhaps you want to try your hand at affiliate marketing? With a niche, you’ll know what products and services you can write about. Plus, you’ll know what ads to sell.
On the flip side, if your blog niche is too specific, you might have a fewer audience. That said, you need to strike the perfect balance.
How to Choose a Niche for Your Blog
Starting a blog is only the first step. You can’t jump in and start writing whatever topic comes to mind. If you want to gain authority and grow your readership, you’ll need to choose a niche. That said, choosing a profitable blogging niche requires research and planning.
1. Explore Your Interests
You might already have hundreds of ideas in your head, or you might be struggling to find one. To help you narrow down your choices, make a list of your topical interest and passion areas.
Here are a few prompts:
- What are your hobbies? How do you like to spend your free time?
- What magazines or newsletters do you subscribe to?
- Is there any topic you’d like to learn about?
It’s best to choose a niche based on your interests and passions.
Planning, writing, and publishing blog posts take a lot of effort. That said, if you’re not interested in your niche, you’ll have a hard time maintaining your blog in the long run.
Additionally, you should also choose a niche where you are an authority. If you write about a blog topic you do not know, readers won’t be as interested in what you have to say. Readers want to hear from experts—someone they can trust – who can give tips and trustworthy advice.
A few things to consider when listing blog topics:
- What are your interests and passions?
- Can you write about these topics without getting bored?
- Will you be able to set an authoritative tone that will captivate your audience?
2. Research Your Target Audience
Now that you have a list of blog topics, it’s time to narrow it down further. To create a profitable blog, you need to identify your target market. Most importantly, you need to uncover their pain points. How can you help them solve their problems?
When researching your target audience, you can:
- Have a one-on-one conversation with your target market. Make sure you have a set of questions that will help uncover their main problems.
- Take a look at forums like Quora. What questions are they asking? Look into Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram as well.
- Research keywords. Use Google Trends and Google keyword planner to discover common search queries and trending topics.
3. Study Your Competition
Lastly, you need to look into your competition.
A competitive niche isn’t always a bad thing. If you have healthy competition, it means you’ve found a profitable blogging niche. That said, it’s time to do a little sleuthing. Do a thorough analysis of competing blogs.
So, where do you start?
First, search for keywords related to your industry. It’s best to use search terms that your audience would use and see what comes up on the first page.
- Will you be able to stand out?
- Can you rank for your chosen keywords?
- How can you create content that is different from the rest?
Here are a few things to consider to determine whether you can compete with already established niche blogs:
- Low-quality content: If most of the existing blogs have low-quality content, it’s easy to outrank them. All you have to do is provide informative blog posts. Provide superior content that answers your target reader’s questions.
- Lack of transparency: You can gain a competitive advantage by building an authentic and transparent online presence. If most of your competition feels overly corporate, go for authenticity.
- Lack of paid competition: If, by chance, you found a keyword with high search volume but little competition, grab that opportunity.
Top 24 Most Profitable Blog Niches Of 2022
The technology niche is an ever-changing landscape. With new and emerging tech released almost every month, this profitable blog niche attracts audiences looking for the next big thing.
It’s an excellent blogging niche for affiliate marketing. Bloggers can earn affiliate income from a variety of sources, including:
- Software companies
- Or through affiliate websites like Amazon
There are also different ways to monetize a technology blog. For instance, you can write in-depth product reviews. You can also focus on these microblog niches:
- VPN Services
- Hosting Services
- Malware Services
- Equipment and gadgets
- Games for consoles, PCs, or mobile phones
Here are some of the successful blogs in the technology niche:
Digital Marketing Services
Digital marketing has grown throughout the years. It’s not surprising that it is one of the most competitive blog niches for affiliate marketing today.
Online marketing consists of all the marketing efforts done through search engines, websites, social media, and email. Many businesses are looking into this opportunity to boost their online presence.
So how can you position yourself as an expert in the online marketing niche? You need to create and publish insightful articles. You can also use other media like videos and webinars.
Here are some microblog niche ideas you should look into:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Web Design
- Social Media Marketing
- Email Marketing
Neil Patel has become the go-to in the online marketing industry. Other successful online marketing blogs include:
If your passion and interest lie in sports, then why not consider the Sports niche?
Whether it’s basketball, soccer, football, or volleyball – sports are still very much a part of life. It still has a lot of audiences which could translate to blog readership.
For instance, your blog could be about providing breaking news about a specific sport. Or offer interesting takes on recent games.
Another option is to write about sports gear. Offer recommendations, reviews, and tips for those who are thinking of taking up a given sport.
Here are a few sub-niches that are worth looking into:
- Gym Fitness
- Extreme Sports
Some of the most profitable sports blogs include:
The lifestyle niche is one of the most popular blog niche ideas. A lifestyle blog can fall into different micro-niches. So lifestyle bloggers need to provide content for a specific audience.
These bloggers often promote products, brands, and services to monetize their blogs. So to be successful in this blogging niche, you need to be well-versed in your chosen sub-niche.
Some bloggers focus on fashion blogs, while others choose to create a travel blog.
Perhaps you can write about skincare since it’s a hot topic right now. There are a lot of people looking for the best products and techniques to keep their pores small. That said, skincare is a great sub-niche if you want to break into affiliate marketing in the long run.
The main goal is to provide blog articles or videos on topics that add value to your readers’ lives. Need more blog niche ideas? Here are some of them:
- Home Decor
Some of the top lifestyle blogs you can look into for ideas are:
We all have hobbies and activities during our spare time because we find them fun and enjoyable. While we don’t usually take up a hobby to make money, some can also be a source of extra income.
You can create a blog based on your hobbies. This blogging niche is perfect for targeting specific audiences. Since hobby blogs focus on a specific activity, you’ll know who your readers are – what they want to know as well as their common pain points.
For example, if you enjoy gardening, you can provide tips and tricks to care for different plant types. You can also provide a list of indoor plants for those living in small apartments.
Some of its sub-niches include:
Need inspiration? Here are some of the best craft and hobby blogs you can look into:
Food blogs are hugely popular, and rightly so! It’s a very interesting and appealing blog niche where you can share recipes and take great photos. But because it’s a popular niche, you’ll have plenty of competition.
So it helps to have a specific micro-niche. Perhaps you can write about 30-minute recipes perfect for busy millennials. Or you can offer gluten-free or dairy-free recipes. You can also add cooking videos to make your blog more engaging.
To monetize your blog, you can advertise, add affiliate links, or even create a recipe book out of your blog articles.
Some of the sub-niches you can consider are:
- Keto Diet
- Baking Recipes
- Kitchen Supplies and Equipment
- Recipes for Weight Loss
You can look into these popular food blogs for inspiration:
The finance niche is undoubtedly one of the most in-demand and evergreen niches. People will always want to know how to balance their checkbooks and save money. So there’s a high chance you can generate readership and earn money by covering this profitable blog niche.
Personal finance bloggers can monetize their blogs through advertising once they get a good amount of traffic. Bloggers can also look into affiliate marketing opportunities. For instance, they can promote credit cards or cashback programs to their readers.
Here are some of the most popular finance sub-niches:
- Personal Finance
- Property Investment
- Stock Market
Some of the money blogs that are earning online include:
Today, more and more people are turning to life and business coaches for help. That said, the personal development niche is gaining popularity in today’s highly competitive world.
To be successful in this niche, you need to provide content tailored to your audience. What do they want to improve upon? What field do they specialize in?
For instance, if you have a knack for mentoring, then provide blog articles, videos, or webinars around this topic. Some of the sub-niches you can look into include:
- Skills Enhancement
Here are some of the most successful personal development blogs:
You can spend months trying to figure out the best blogging niche. Or you can start with the tips above and start blogging!
Who knows? Perhaps in six months or a year from now, you can be earning money online.
But first, choose a niche that you’re passionate about. It must be something you know what to write about before anything else. Then you need to put yourself in your target audience’s shoes to understand what they want to read from your blog.
Ready to start blogging and getting paid? You can read How to Start a Blog and Get Paid to learn more about it.
For more tips on starting a new blog, Mint Chip has you covered. Subscribe to our newsletter today and get the best online marketing and blogging tips, tools, and guides straight to your inbox!